It’s the holidays! You know what that means. In the next few weeks, friends, families and loved ones will be coming together in kitchens to make delightful holiday feasts.
As you whip out your baking needs, our team at Bob Gunn Termite Solutions advises you to be wary of pests in the pantry. Merchant grain beetles and Indian meal moths are just some of the insects that could have sought shelter in your kitchen pantry.
Pantry pests can tear through thin packaging, access food supplies with ease and contaminate most baking ingredients. These include flour, nuts, chocolate and dried fruit.
Preventing pantry pest infestations is fairly easy. The key is to exercise proper food storage and observe good sanitation. Read on for more pantry pest prevention tips.
1. Spills and crumbs attract pests, which is why it’s important to keep floors, counters, cabinets, pantry shelves and sinks clean.
2. Place a bay leaf in dry good canisters. Its pungent smell repels several pantry pests.
3. Ensure that the food you buy is in perfectly sealed packages.
4. Once packages are opened, transfer ingredients into sealed glass or Tupperware-type containers with tight lids before stowing them in the cabinet.
5. Check expiration dates before using baking ingredients and inspect already opened items before adding them to a recipe.
6. Throw trash on a regular basis in sealed bins.
7. Seal cracks or holes around water pipes and the stovepipes.
8. Check for leaking pipes and clogged drains. If there are any, address them right away.
When to Call a Professional
If an infestation has already taken root, then it’s definitely time to get in touch with a reputable, licensed pest technician—such as one of our team members at Bob Gunn Termite Solutions.
Contact us in Brisbane today to learn how we treat pesky pantry pests. Don’t forget to ask for a quote as we offer them for FREE all year round.