Buying a new home is an extremely exciting time for everyone, especially if it’s your first home. Chances are, you’ve spent months going to open homes trying to find that perfect fit. So now that you’ve found the one you love, what do you need to do?
You can’t just buy a property without knowing what it is that you’re purchasing. Ensuring that your potential house is safe from any possible dramas is the first step to getting the keys. Most settlement contracts will be subject to a building and pest inspection.
It is important to note that building and pest inspections are not the same thing. Unless you have found a company that is qualified to do both, you will need to contact a separate pest control company to carry out the inspection for you.
A pre-purchase pest inspection checks for the following:
• Active Termites in Timber Elements of the Home
• Damage Caused by Termites (If Applicable)
• Repairs Needed (If Applicable)
• Treatments Needed
• Prevention Required
• Risk and Susceptibility of the Home to Termite Intrusion
Bob Gunn Termite Solutions has put together a few tips to help you find a pest inspector for your potential home.
1. Find an inspector that is QUALIFIED. Don’t be afraid to ask for license numbers and also check that they are insured (Professional Indemnity Insurance). You don’t want to be dealing with a dodgy building inspector whilst trying to buy a home.
2. Enquire about the company’s process, equipment and reporting. You want to find someone who is confident in how they conduct their inspections. If their responses seem vague ask them for clarification. You can also request to see an example report. Is it thorough and easy to understand?
3. Try to source your own inspector rather than one associated with the real estate or recommended by the seller of the property.
4. Don’t settle for an inspection report that was organised by the seller themselves.
It’s important that you feel confident in the company that you have chosen to do your pest inspection. So do your research, ask for referrals and don’t be afraid to ask the company questions.
At Bob Gunn Termite Solutions, we can answer all your queries, being the experts that we are in building and pest inspections. Call our office in Brisbane today and book your inspection with us. We promise we won’t disappoint.